Tender, fall-off-the-bone chicken! Omit the overnight refrigeration if you are in a hurry. For variety, eliminate the onion and substitute a quartered lemon or two, stuffed into the chicken cavity. Chef Shapeweaver had a good suggestion: Use my Fajita Seasoning Mix #28011 as another variation. Thanks!
- add 1 teaspoon onion powder
- add 1 large roasting chicken (with pop-up timer if possible)
- add 1 teaspoon thyme
- add 4 teaspoons salt
- add 2 teaspoons paprika
- add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- add 1 cup onions
- add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- add 1 teaspoon white pepper
- add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the spices.
- Remove any giblets from chicken and clean chicken.
- Rub spice mixture onto the chicken.
- Place in resealable plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, put chopped onion in bottom of crock pot.
- Add chicken.
- No liquid is needed, the chicken will make it's own juices.
- Cook on low 4-8 hours.
- Note:I highly recommend a pop-up timer in the chicken because some crockpots cook faster/slower than others (my crockpot cooks this recipe in 4-5 hours).