Zatarains was the real thing and boxes of it were found in just about every home in New Orleans. We also like to add 2-3 lemons, quartered, to the water. This is enough for 5lbs shrimp or a dozen blue swimmers.
- add 2 tablespoons dill seeds
- add 8 bay leaves
- add 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- add 4 tablespoons mustard seeds
- add 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- add 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- add 2 tablespoons whole allspice
- Combine all ingredients well, crushing slightly. Place all on a muslin or cheesecloth square, gather corners and tie securely.
- When the water for the seafood is boiling add the crab boil sachet along with plenty of salt. Continue boiling until the water takes on color before adding seafood.