A hearty, rib-sticking German dish posted in response to a recipe request. Cooking time is approximate.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add salt and pepper
- add 2 lbs round steaks or sirloin tip steaks
- add 1 cup water or beef stock
- add 1 garlic clove
- add 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- add 3 tablespoons flour
- add 1 slice lemons
- add 4 tablespoons vinegar
- add 6 medium onions
- add 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- add 4 tablespoons butter or lard
- Cut the meat into thin strips.
- Heat butter in Dutch oven or large saucepan.
- Fry onions slowly, until deep yellow but not quite brown.
- Add meat, salt, pepper, marjoram, garlic, thyme, vinegar lemon peel and 1/2 cup water or beef stock.
- Cover and simmer slowly 1/2 hour, adding more water as necessary, keeping the meat in liquid.
- When meat is tender, dissolve flour in just enough cold water to make a smooth paste and stir into gravy.
- Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.